Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Energy Conservation Outline:

The amount of paper that the United States consumes is incredible. According to Rainforest Maker, a non-profit group dedicated to saving forests,
  • Each person in the United States uses approximately 750 pounds of paper each year. This equals approximately 187 billion pounds per year.”
  • Most of the world’s paper supply, about 71 percent, is not made from timber harvested at tree farms but from forest-harvested timber, from regions with ecologically valuable, biologically diverse habitat.”

Both our incredible consumption of paper, and the detrimental effects of logging on the environment, convinced me that to make a difference to the environment I should minimize the amount of paper used in my Spanish classes. At the moment, the volume of paper passing through my in-box is incredible. Much of this paper is used for practice and has no longevity. So I asked myself,

How much paper can I save by providing previously used paper for the bell assignment?

I will need to find out how much paper (in sheets) my 16 students use each week on this assignment. I will also be curious to find out what percentage of teachers in my school use bell assignments, and how many students attend public high school in Alaska and the United States. With these numbers I should be able to calculate the potential impact of providing previously used paper for this assignment.

To answer this question I will record how much paper my students use to complete the bell assignment by monitoring what they turn in during a two week time period. I will use these numbers to find an average for how much paper we could save in a one week time period. I will also survey the staff to see what percentage of staff members give bell assignments at the beginning of class.

No comments: